PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Confessions Of The Unfun One

Dear Princess #1,

I know I'm not a "fun" mom.

I don't play tickle tackle on the floor.

I don't sit and watch cartoons.

I don't let you stay up late and get you all wild and crazy right before bed.

You made that very clear last night when you told me you wished I was more like Daddy.



I have to admit, that stung a bit.

But you know, I'm not going to apologize for who I am and what kind of mommy I am.

You see, your daddy and I, we make a great team.

He plays and I plan.

He tickles tummies and I tackle toilets.

And above all, we both love you fiercely.



Our home is well rounded because we each do our jobs and we each meet needs.

If we were both the fun one, we'd have an empty fridge and dirty clothes and unpaid bills.

If we were both the unfun one, we'd have no laughter or smiles or joy.

We need each other and you need both of us.



We've fallen into our roles over time, and we're comfortable with them.

Sometimes the lines blur, sometimes we help each other out.

That's what marriage is about.  Someday you'll understand that.

We bring out the best in each other.



So I'm not upset that you wish I was more fun.

I imagine I felt the same way about my mom when I was your age.

I think it's probably normal.

I'll admit that mothering is at times a thankless job.

Hopefully someday we'll bond over that fact as you hold your own little one.

Until then, I'll keep doing my job.

The best job in the world.  And I don't do it alone.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel guilty about being the "less fun" one, but you are right...it has to be a balance otherwise we would eat mashed potatoes and Doritos for dinner every night and no one would ever brush their hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee-hee! I love this post!
    Perfectly said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, and I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have written this very same letter to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know the cool part though? DH might be the one that they wrestle with, but I'm the one that they snuggle with. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails