PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The De-Pacification Of An Almost Three Year Old Part II

We are now approaching night four with no paci. I hesitate to say it is going smoothly, because you know, I don't have any wood to knock on.

Seriously, Princess #3 is handling it much better than I expected. The first night WAS heartbreaking. She kept asking over and over for it, kept refusing the alternative comfort items we offered. It eventually progressed to tears, but we survived. She finally fell asleep with Your Majesty's arms around her, following an hour long snuggle with daddy on the couch, long after her big sisters had fallen asleep.

Night two went a little bit better. She didn't get out of bed that night, but did require that I sit with her and stroke her hair until she was able to relax. She didn't wake again until morning. Night three I was actually out of the house during bedtime (shocker!!), but daddy did awesome. We'll see how things go tonight.

Although we weaned her off the use of the paci during the day about a year ago, sometimes now I catch glimpses of her missing it. Just little things here and there, chewing on a blanket or sucking on her fingers. These actions didn't surface until this week, but I'm ok with it. I know she's going through withdrawal. It really hurts my mama heart to take away something that brought her so much comfort. But she's surviving. And I will too.

*I had to come back after I wrote this post to add that Princess #3 just climbed up on my lap, put her arms around my neck and sighed, "I know you love me."

So clearly, this is much harder on me than it is on her. I think I'll sleep better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails