PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, January 21, 2011

Revisiting The Tiger Issue

A week ago or so I joined I'm sure hundreds of bloggy moms as I attempted to dissect and inspect the claims of Amy Chua that the Chinese method of parenting was superior to Western parenting.  And while I  wrestled with putting my thoughts into words, I thought I had adequately described my feelings on the subject.

Then I ran across this post.  Mama J is a Chinese Christian mama living in Singapore.  And when I read her eloquent letter to her son, I thought, "YES!  This is what was missing for me in Amy Chua's approach to parenting!"  Yes we push our children to be their best, and lovingly correct and guide.  But for a Christian parent, there is more to this life than being the best or earning accolades by your own strength or even just being a good person.  I loved Mama J's unique perspective on this issue and how she reconciled being both a Chinese parent and a Christian parent.

It's worth a look.  Let me know what you think!
 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails