PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, June 18, 2010

Harvest Time

Dare I say it, we might have a green thumb?! A few months ago we planted our very first vegetable garden. We chose to make a raised bed and use the square foot gardening plans, just to make it easy on ourselves. We didn't want to do too much our first year, in case we killed everything. Ha!

As you can clearly see, our garden has grown! And grown... and grown...




I just have to sing the praises of the raised bed garden idea.   No digging up your yard, exceptional soil (since you create it yourself), no weeds to pull, less chances of throwing out the back... Our only problem is that we over planted for our space. We are "green" gardeners (as in completely clueless), and really had no idea what we were doing. Next year we'll hopefully expand by about 2-3 more 4x4 beds and we'll do a little better at spacing the plants out. Some of our smaller plants ended up totally shadowed by our monster tomato plants.

Speaking of, can't wait to get my hands on some of these!




Ultimately, I am thrilled with the outcome. Our paltry pea harvest isn't going to feed our whole family for even one meal. But our whole goal at the beginning of this was just to show the princesses where food REALLY comes from (you mean not from the grocery store??). About 2 months ago we watched the documentary Food, Inc. and it really solidified our already present tendencies to want to eat as naturally and as close to the source as possible.


So, we're taking small steps in that direction.  I'm already looking forward to next year's garden, and am excited about making meals like this entirely with home-grown veggies (with the exception of the pasta of course.  Didn't plant any pasta seeds.  Ha!)



And mostly I'm excited about the princesses learning an important lesson about food, where it comes from, and the ripple effect our actions have on that food.

9 comments:

  1. Your garden looks fantastic! The kids and I planted one too, but so far the only thing it's produced is a few beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lana! The peas ended up being a bit bitter, so I think we picked them too soon. Ah well, learning curve. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting!!! We totally dropped the ball on our garden. Like you, I was was very unsure about how it would actually turn out for us and ended up just not planting enough. We got two tomato plants, watermelon and cumcumbers. I can't believe I didn't get strawberries planted (AUGH!!!) - though I do have a heap of wild strawberries growing all around my house, lol. But, on a positive note, what we did manage to plant is coming along very well! And the herbs in my kitchen window are growing like gang-busters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pasta dish looks so good! We did the same thing...saw Food Inc and wanted to make some changes! We planted our first garden last month...waiting on our produce :-) Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch "Supersize Me." You will never go to McDonald's again...ok...well almost never.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @M - my herbs are seeding, can you see that in the picture? I'm not sure what to do with that....

    @Kimberly - Thank you! That pasta dish IS amazing!

    @David - we did and we don't! Almost never...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is your cilantro doing? I was reading about growing it (we use so much of it, it would be awesome to have our own patch of it!) and from what I read it's supposed to be difficult to grow? That it's really finicky? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your garden looks great. One day I would like to do that with the kids, but I am scared since I have a black thumb and can kill a plastic plant. The pictures are inspiring..might still have to try one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a fellow gardener! I just picked a bunch of Mammoth Sugar peas today, and the rest of our garden is growing as well. :)It's great to walk outside and take pride in growing your own food. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails